For-profit colleges: Just say no.
• Is that recruiter interested in your success or your financial aid?
• Should colleges be advertised like a new video game or a diet plan?
• Is education a consumer product or an arduous but beneficial process?
• Does your local community college offer better classes for far less money?
• Does a worthwhile post-secondary institution need high-pressure salespeople?
• Student debt can never be discharged—even in bankruptcy. It will follow you for the rest of your life. With a third-rate, online degree from a questionable institution, will you ever get a job in the field you pretend to study? Will you make enough at your back-up job to pay back your loans? The wall street guys who own the "school" have already spent your money.
Be careful. Ask questions. Think about it.